Baja Whale Expedition
An 8 days trip with the biggest mammals of Baja!
Where else can you see 4 of the biggest animals on this planet?The most comprehensive whale excursion in Baja California Sur
Tours in 2018
Why Cabo Trek?
*Minimum of 4 people need to run this tour
Starting from 2018 Cabo Trek offers this 8 days / 7 nights excursion to explore in depth the Baja California Sur peninsula. Gray Whales, Blue Whales, Humpback Whales, Whale Sharks and Sea Lions are our main objective, nevertheless many other species of animals will be seen either hiding in the sand dunes of Magdalena Bay or jumping around some volcanic rocks in Loreto or eventually “flying” out of the water in Espiritu Santo and Cabo San Lucas. A great mix of adventure, Mexican culture & cousine and of course fun: tours led by marine biologist, learning made fun while discovering the best that Baja has to offer!
Learn more about this expediton in the sections below.
Deep into Baja California Sur!
This tour is tailored for those that want to see the best Baja California Sur has to offer in terms of big animals. The tour includes the Humpback Whale Watching experience in Cabo San Lucas, the Gray Whale Watching in Magdalena Bay, Blue Whales in Loreto, Whale Sharks in La Paz and Sea Lions in Espiritu Santo Island.
During this 8 days you will be guided by marine biologist sharing a wealth of information about all the animals we will encounter and about the nature and history of the places we will be visiting. March is the month of choice as this is were the chances are the highest to encounter all the species object of this trip. Especially the blue whale can be tricky, for all the other species we can almost guarantee the sighting.
There are very few places on this planet where in a short period of 8 days you can witness all these magnificent animals, really a tour of a lifetime, Cabo Trek is your host and will take care of the whole organization so that you can relax and enjoy the beauty around you.
The tour starts in Cabo San Lucas where on the first day we get to know each other and get ready for the big adventure: we always have some optional activities and back up plans to make sure the tour stays interesting during the whole duration, so for example upon your arrival we have planned a visit to the local museum and eventually a sunset tour to see the arch and the bay of Cabo San Lucas.
The following 2 days (the 2nd and 3rd of the expedition) will be dedicated to exploring Magdalena Bay on the Pacific side, home to the Gray Whales. This place is one of three, and for sure the best, where it is possible to not only see them but also pet them. Gray Whales as most of the species present in Baja are here for the same reasons: mating and giving birth to their calves. A walk on the sand dunes and fantastic fresh sea food is waiting for us in this small fisherman town.
From Puerto Lopez Mateos (Magdalena Bay) we will be heading further north direction Loreto, in other words we are switching coast side as we will be in the Sea of Cortez now. The 2,5 hours drive will take us to one of the first spanish missions built in Baja (1744) and that still keeps its original aspect, San Javier.
The day after we will be in search for the massive Blue Whale , usually not to difficult to find when around due to its dimension and especially when visiting in March which is considered the best time to spot this animal. On the 5th day of this trip our journey takes us to La Paz.
During the two days of stay in the Capital of Baja California Sur we will swim with the Whale Shark and pay visit to the UNESCO protected island of Espiritu Santo as well as known as the Galapagos of the Sea of Cortez and home to a huge Sea Lion colony of more than 200 individuals.
Day 8 is our return to Cabo San Lucas where we end the expedition with the majestic Humpback whales known for their acrobatic skills. Humpbacks are the main attraction in Los Cabos during the winter month as they have spectacular behaviors to display and as March is still peak of the season you will have great chances to see them.
Not to forget to mention all the other species that we might encounter during this trip such as migrating birds, coyotes, dolphins, sea turtles and other species of whales that include: Sperm, Pilot, Bryde’s, Fin and Orcas. 3 and 4 Star hotels are included in this tour: all accommodations have been tested and are safe, clean, comfortable and have gentle staff. Meals are up to you as we let you choose what you prefer according to what is on the menu.
In March the weather is usually very predictable and the plan is very likely to be carried out the exact way as here exposed, nevertheless we cannot guarantee 100% the outcome, so a bit of flexibility from your side as well as improvisation skill from our side are required.
For more information please contact us!
Tour Schedule & Itinerary
Baja Whale Expedition Tour Start: 15th of March 2018
Day 1: Arrival
- Arrival in Cabo San Josè
- Depending on arrival time we have these optional activities available:
- Visit to local museum
- Sunset boat tour by the arch
- Night in Cabo San Lucas
Day 2: Gray Whales
- Early transfer to Lopez Mateos
- Afternoon activity: Gray Whale Watching
- Night in Lopez Mateos
Day 3: Gray Whales
- Morning activity: Gray Whale Watching
- Transfer to Loreto
- Optiona activity: visit of ancient spanish mission San Javier
- Night in Loreto
Day 4: Blue Whales
- Morning activity: Blue Whale Expedition
- Night in Loreto
Day 5: Whale Sharks
- Early transfer to La Paz
- Afternoon activity: Snorkeling with Whale Sharks
- Optional activity: visit of the Whale Museum
- Night in La Paz
Day 6: Espiritu Santo Island (Sea Lions)
- Morning activity: Espiritu Santo Island (Sea Lions) Excursion
- Optional activity: visit to the Whale Museum or relaxing on beach Balandra
- Night in La Paz
Day 7: Humpback Whales
- Early transfer to Cabo San Lucas
- Activity: Humpback Whale Watching Tour
- Night in Cabo San Lucas
Day 8: Departure
- Departure from Cabo San Josè Airport
More IMPORTANT infos
BEST TIME TO GO:
The only month to make this tour happen is MARCH and this is mainly because of the short migration period of the Blue Whales. All the other animals stick around Baja California Sur for over 4 month, this is the reason why we choose the 15th of March as it is when the chances are the highest to encounter all the species listed in this tour.
HOW BIG ARE THE GROUPS?
One of the many advantages you have by taking a tour with Cabo Trek is that you have the guarantee to avoid crowds. We rather use an extra boat instead of squeezing people in like sardines! The make this Baja Whale Expedition happen we need a minimum of 4 persons and we close the group at maximum of 8. This allows us to comfortably travel on the mini-van and we fit perfectly on the local pangas. The idea is to share quality time together, make new friends, get to now the locals and have the chance to truly enjoy the part of Mexico where very few go. Contact us if you are interested in a PRIVATE TOUR.
WHAT TO BRING:
We travel light: What we need is a small back pack with the minimum necessary. This is a suggested list of items that are strongly reccomended to bring along for the 2 days tour:
- Long sleeves Jumper
- 5 x T-shirts
- 1 x Long pants & 1 x Short pants
- Socks and underwear
- Tennis shoes and flip flops
- Small towel
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Hut
IMPORTANT: Don’t forget your camera and your spirit of Adventure!
WHAT CAN I SEE:
The purpose of this trip is to see as many different animals as possible during the 7 days of this excursion. It is difficult to name one specie more than another: Humpback Whales, Gray Whales, Blue Whales, Whale Sharks, where else can you see all these animals in 1 tour? Not even talking about all the other transient wildlife that is present in the area and that use Baja California Sur as a feeding, breeding and refuge area: sea turtles, hundreds of migratory birds, coyotes, sea lions, dolphins and many more, with the Pacific Ocean, the Sea of Cortez and the sand dunes of Magdalena Bay creating amazing landscape for the observer and the photographer.
Why Book With Cabo Trek
The reasons are endless!
- We offer the ONLY truly educational and comprehensive whale watching tours in all of Los Cabos, Lopez Mateos, Loreto and La Paz. Each tour is full of teaching and engagement about whales, their behaviors, their habits and so much more. We guarantee that you will be beyond satisfied with our tour experience, our university-trained marine biologist guide, our wildlife photographer, our captains and our boats!
- We offer the most personal and intimate whale watching tours in all of Los Cabos and all of Baja California Sur. Each tour is a maximum of 8 people per tour, so there’s no fussing for shade, leg room or a better view.
- We are proud to be the ONLY organization in all of Los Cabos with a university trained and certified marine biologist and ichthyologist as our tour guide.
- We are proud that since day one we could prove that Cabo Trek staff is capable of adding value to Cabo San Lucas by delivering and excellent whale watching service as certified for 4 years in a row by Trip Advisor:
Prices 2018 - Terms & Conditions
- 2.800 USD per person
- PRIVATE TOURS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST, CONTACT US.
Terms & Conditions:
- Prices is per person
- Price is based on double occupancy per room
- Single room upgrade for 400 USD extra charge
- Price is based on a minimum of 4 participants
- Alcoholic beverages and tips to: restaurants, boat services, hotels, transportation and Cabo Trek guides.
- 50% deposit to reserve the tour. Balance due 30 days before tour start.
- Deposit can be transferred to other person but is not refundable. Once balance is paid, 30 days prior tour start, it is also not refundable but can be transferred to other person.
- Cabo Trek, it’s transportations devices by land and sea as well as third party service provider companies are all insured as required by Mexican law, nevertheless we strongly suggest to purchase a travel insurance to cover all kind of medical expenses. The activities we are going are rated EASY to INTERMEDIATE, were easy is a whale watching tour and intermediate the snorkeling activities. Accidents are possible but risk is considered low, better be SAFE than SORRY.
- Tour schedule is subject to weather conditions and activities may have to be rearranged, rescheduled, replaced or eventually cancelled. There will be no refunds for cancelled tour, alternative program will be arranged.
- First day and last day are subject to changes depending on flight arrival and departure times.
- All meals include non alcoholic beverages. Lunch and dinner include one main corse plate ordered by your choice from the menu.
- Tour not recommended for women that may be pregnant.
- In our price everything but tips is included! With Cabo Trek you will not have to put hands in your ocket for hidden costs nor will there be last minute surprises! Cabo Trek keep its word and keeps up with its reputation as a trustworthy, reliable, serious company in Cabo San Lucas.
Call us for more details on our TOLL FREE number: 1 844 851 9842
- February 70%
- March 100%
TOLL FREE CALL NOW:
1 844 851 9842