Intimate Gray Whale Watching
A 2 day trip for true nature lovers!
A great way to explore the Baja peninsula and Magdalena Bay!
Tours in 2020
Why Cabo Trek?
*Minimum of 4 people need to run this tour
Starting from 2016 Cabo Trek offers now 2 days excursions to for Gray Whale Watching in Lopez Mateos, also known as Magdalena Bay. Situated about 5 hours north of Cabo San Lucas, this stretch of land is populated by a small community of fisherman. When in December the first whales arrive this place becomes increasingly visited by tourists from all over the world to experience something unique on this planet: A very close encounter with the Gray Whales. Cabo Trek is expanding its horizon and wants to share this amazing time with you discovering the Baja California Sur peninsula.
Learn more about this tour in the section below.
Baja California is not just Cabo!
Grey Whales watching in Lopez Mateos as well known as Magdalena Bay is an incredible experience! The laguna is quiet but full of life, for thousands of years the gray whales have migrated here to give birth to their calves and nourish them until they are strong enough to make their journey back to cold waters of Alaska. Lopez Mateos is one of the few places in the world where you can have a very intimate whale watching experience: the whales over the years have become very used to have curious humans coming from very far to see them! After being put in 1940 on the list of species endangered of extinction the gray whale population has rose again: now the reestablished confidence in the human being has evolved as far as the animal is now approaching the boats to seek interaction with the us! Cabo Trek organizes a 2 day trip to Magdalena Bay (Lopez Mateos), starting from Cabo San Lucas, the time getting to our destination will be filled with lots of informations about the Baja California Sur region as well as you will have the time to appreciate the incredible sceneries offered by the desert. In these 2 days we will have be out whale watching for around 5 to 6 hours split in 2 tours: Whale Watching Tour 1: in the afternoon after arrival and Whale Watching Tour 2: in the next morning after breakfast. The timing is optimized for providing the best possible whale watching experience:
- few boats in the laguna,
- perfect light conditions for photographers,
- calm waters.
We will have the chance to walk on the sand dunes and enjoy the view of hundreds migrating birds and also dolphins, as they are habitants of these warm waters. This trip will familiarize you with the Mexican culture as you will get to know the incredible friendly people of Lopez Mateos while we enjoy a nice lobster dinner. Lunch at arrival is based on fish, meat or chicken tacos, while breakfast you can choose how you’d like your eggs being cooked. This trip is becoming increasingly popular and people are coming from all over the world to experience these great animals in their natural habit, Cabo Trek winner of 5 certificates of excellence by TripAdvisor (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018) is dedicated to provide a quality and passionate service for small groups that like the eco tourism concept and are truly nature lovers.
Tour Schedule & Itinerary
For this season we have programmed 4 tours to Magdalena Bay, Lopez Mateos:
10th & 24th of February – 10th & 24th of March 2018
Nevertheless we are open and flexible to organize tours in other dates upon request with a minimum of 4 people.
Please contact us.
- 06:00 am – Departure from Cabo San Lucas: parking lot at Tesoro Hotel
- 12:00 am – Arrival at Lopez Mateos
- 12:30 pm – Lunch: tacos & quesadillas – Hotel check in
- 02:00 pm – Whale watching tour 1: Sand dunes sunset walk
- 07:00 pm – Special Dinner: Lobster – Shrimps – Fish & salad
- 07:00 am – Breakfast (Continental)
- 08:30 am – Whale watching tour 2
- 12:00 pm – Lunch: tacos & quesadillas – Hotel check out
- 06:00 pm – Arrival at Cabo San Lucas: parking lot at Tesoro Hotel
More IMPORTANT infos
BEST TIME TO GO:
Although the BEST time to go Gray Whale Watching to Lopez Mateo, Magdalena Bay is in the month of February and March, even in late December, January and April Gray Whales can still be spotted. If you are interested in going in these month please contact us and we make the necessary research to find out if it is worth the time to make the journey up to Lopez Mateos.
HOW BIG ARE THE GROUPS:
One of the many advantages you have by taking a tour with Cabo Trek is that you have the guarantee to avoid crowds. We rather use an extra boat instead of squeezing people in like sardines! The make the tour to Magdalena Bay happen we need a minimum of 4 persons and we close the group at maximum of 8. This allows us to comfortably travel till Lopez Mateos on the mini-van and we fit perfectly on the local pangas. The idea is to share quality time together, make new friends, get to now the locals and have the chance to truly enjoy the part of Mexico where very few go. Contact us if you are interested in a PRIVATE TOUR.
WHAT TO BRING:
We travel light: What we need is a small back pack with the minimum necessary. This is a suggested list of items that are strongly reccomended to bring along for the 2 days tour:
- Long sleeves Jumper
- 2 x T-shirts
- 1 x Long pants & 1 x Short pants
- Socks and underwear
- Shoes and flip flops
- Small towel
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Hut
IMPORTANT: Don’t forget your camera and your spirit of Adventure!
WHAT CAN I SEE:
The target of this 2 day trip up north to Lopez Mateos are the Gray Whales. The lagoons complex serves as feeding, breeding, rearing, resting, or refuge areas for numerous transient species of wildlife. Sea Turtles and migratory birds use this habitat during critical stages of their life cycles. These lagoons are habitat for the California Sea Lion, Dolphins, Herons, Egrets, Shorebirds, as well as ospreys and magnificent Frigatebirds. Occasionally even coyotes can be spotted on the sand dunes. This unique habitat combines the beauty of its mangroves and sand dunes with its wonderful wildlife to provide amazing landscape to the observer and for the photographers.
Why Book With Cabo Trek
The reasons are endless!
- We offer the ONLY truly educational and comprehensive whale watching tours in all of Los Cabos and Lopez Mateos. Each tour is full of teaching and engagement about whales, their behaviors, their habits and so much more. We guarantee that you will be beyond satisfied with our tour experience, our university-trained marine biologist guide, our wildlife photographer, our captains and our boats!
- We offer the most personal and intimate whale watching tours in all of Los Cabos and all of Baja California Sur. Each tour is a maximum of 8 people per tour, so there’s no fussing for shade, leg room or a better view.
- We are proud to be the ONLY organization in all of Los Cabos with a university trained and certified marine biologist and ichthyologist as our tour guide.
- We are proud that since day one we could prove that Cabo Trek staff is capable of adding value to Cabo San Lucas by delivering and excellent whale watching service as certified for 4 years in a row by Trip Advisor:
Prices 2020 - Terms & Conditions
Price List for 2020:
- 575 USD per Adult
- 475 USD per Child (under 8 years).
- PRIVATE TOURS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST, CONTACT US.
Terms & Conditions:
- Prices is per person
- Price is based on double occupancy per room
- Single room upgrade for 50 USD extra charge
- Price is based on a minimum of 4 participants
- Alcoholic beverages and tips to: restaurants, boat services, hotels, transportation and Cabo Trek guides.
- Online on website.
- Cancellation incur in a 20% loss of tour cost. If tour is cancelled within 30 days of tour start deposit is non refundable.
- Cabo Trek, it’s transportations devices by land and sea as well as third party service provider companies are all insured as required by Mexican law, nevertheless we strongly suggest to purchase a travel insurance to cover all kind of medical expenses. The activities we are going are rated EASY to INTERMEDIATE, were easy is a whale watching tour and intermediate the snorkeling activities. Accidents are possible but risk is considered low, better be SAFE than SORRY.
- Tour schedule is subject to weather conditions and activities may have to be rearranged, rescheduled, replaced or eventually cancelled. There will be no refunds for cancelled tour, alternative program will be arranged.
- All meals include non alcoholic beverages.
- Tour not recommended for women that may be pregnant.
- In our price everything but tips is included! With Cabo Trek you will not have to put hands in your pocket for hidden costs nor will there be last minute surprises! Cabo Trek keep its word and keeps up with its reputation as a trustworthy, reliable, serious company in Cabo San Lucas.
Call us for more details on our TOLL FREE number: 1 844 851 9842
- January 70%
- February 100%
- March 100%
- April 70%
TOLL FREE CALL NOW:
1 844 851 9842